Thursday, September 19, 2013

Instagram Thursday: Exploring Local

"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -- Miriam Beard


As I sit here this morning with my coffee, I recall last September when friends from Australia were finally making their dream a reality with trips here to the United States. We were fortunate enough to meet up with both sets of friends on both sides of the country in one month. That last September was awesome because we had a trip to NYC and a trip to San Francisco, two of my favorite cities. But it wasn't just about traveling to those amazing cities, it was catching up with life-long friends we dearly miss from our days when we lived on the other side of the planet, in Australia. I love to travel and if I had the ability, honestly, I'd probably have a trip planned to some new amazing place almost every month.

But reality is, life gets in the way, and sometimes you can only dream about when you'll get around to that special destination.

I made a decision when I started blogging to channel that "need to explore great destinations and be somewhere different" into exploring new local, closer destinations.  Whether it's a new coffee shop, brewery, or restaurant, a new exhibit at the local museum or a fun festival downtown, there's always somewhere new to be that can take you away from the routine of our every day lives, even if it's just for a few minutes. I chose to try and capture a little of that whenever I can mixed in with my reality of work, kids, schedules and chores! We often get out around Raleigh to see what's new and revisit old favorites.

I think we are lucky to live in a city like Raleigh that is growing and evolving every day, yet still easy to access with plenty to do, spend time with friends and family and make some fabulous memories.

Museum of Natural Sciences on Jones Street
Exploring our newest downtown coffee shop.


Stunning SPARKcon street art in downtown Raleigh last weekend

CircusSPARK performing on Fayetteville Street.

Attending our first restaurant/brewery dinner collaboration this week in downtown Raleigh.




This post is part of Instagram Travel Thursday hosted by Skimbaco Lifestyle,Child ModeLive.Do.Grow.Luxury Travel MomDestination UnknownHines Sight Blog, and House of Anais.


7 comments:

  1. I like to live like a tourist in my own hometown, too. Thanks for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living like a tourist is hard if you ask - but so worth the effort. Oh and that street art is damn fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The street art was done by two high school students. They did an amazing job!

      Delete
  3. I'm all about living like a tourist - it gets us out of our travel ruts in between the trips! #IGTraveThursday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for exploring local surroundings too, I live only in a very small town, by American standards, but we have amazing possibilities to explore outdoors over here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many people travel around but forget to explore their own home with as a tourist, there is often so much to see that one normally just passes by. Lovely story!

    ReplyDelete