I'm definitely guilty of downloading too many apps on my phone since I upgraded to an Android last summer. Of course they are cool and can be fun, but honestly, most of them are pretty useless. I have found a few though that have been really helpful and are worth downloading (and FREE!) so I thought I'd share some that are really useful to have here in Raleigh (or anywhere!)
1. Redbox. We use this one all the time! Download it for free, set up a password and ID with a credit card number (you may already have this setup on their online website). This app allows you to search your local area or set up your favorite pick up spot and check out what movies are actually in that box and reserve your copy, all through the app. Very helpful for checking out whats available before wasting time going to a box that has no selection. Or, if you are road tripping, you can check for a box close to where you are and reserve a movie or check selection. Definitely a time saver!
2. Starbucks. If you are a Starbucks junkie like myself, this is very handy. If you go in and register any gift cards or if you are a gold card holder, set up your password and ID, download the FREE app and you can scan with your phone to pay for your coffee! You don't even need your wallet when you pop in to get your coffee. When you scan from your gold card account, you are also earning free drinks (1 free for every 15). Time saver and I love running in without having to take a purse or looking for cash or card.
3. Michaels. Every time I run into Michael's for art, party or craft supplies, I am always without the Sunday 40% off coupon! Download this FREE app and you will always have your 40% coupon with you as long as you have your phone!! Set up your account and they will scan it anytime you are in the store. Not to mention there are great craft ideas and you can find out what local craft events are going on at your local store.
4. Weather Channel. Great instant weather/temperature check.
5. Flixster. FREE app. One stop shop to get all the movies playing at the theatre closest to you any date, time and you can even buy your tickets here too. Very handy when you don't have the newspaper or a computer to see what's playing near you.
6. Yelp. FREE app that lets you get all the details on almost any business within a few miles of your location. Check out local restaurant, business reviews on the spot. Search and check out new businesses and read what people are saying before you eat, purchase, etc. You can share your own opinions as well.
7. Gigbox. FREE app that lets you see if your favorite artist is playing in Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham or anywhere. Check out venues like Koka Booth to find out who's in concert. Search by date, venue or artist to see who's got an upcoming show. Never miss a show again!
8. iNorthHills. If you are a North Hills groupie, download this app to get all the shopping, dining locations, services, and all current events in this area.
10. FitnessConnection. This is my gym and I can use it to get the class schedule. That's about it. Check to see if your gym has an app that may be useful.
Let me know if you have an app that you would add to this list. Hopefully some of these apps will get you out and about Raleigh a little easier and a lot more efficiently!